Monday, September 22, 2008

Pear Custard

I haven't updated this in so long, I apologize! But I come back from my annual Maryland trip with a brand new recipe! This pear custard is a new recipe to my grandma too who got it from a coworker. She actually just made it as a birthday gift to one of her friends because she couldn't think of anything to get her and she loved it!

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 cup flour
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 3 medium eggs
  • 3/4 cup milk
  • 2 teaspoon vanilla
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup butter (melted)
  • 2-3 bartlett pears
First, you'll want to grease your 9" Pyrex pie glass and preheat your oven to 350 degrees. After greasing the Pyrex, peel and core your pears and slice them lengthwise-- alternating the pears pointing in and out (as seen in the picture kind of!).

After that's done, mix all of the above ingredients together in a blender (Author's note: My grandma told me to use a blender but I figured using a hand mixer would be fine, but the custard batter ended up being not smooth and homogenous enough. I'll use a blender from now on) and blend until completely smooth. Pour the mixture over the pears and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes.

You'll know that the pear custard is ready when it's golden brown all over. Unfortunately, as I mentioned before, my custard was a little too bubbly because of my use of the mixer, so it was bubbly as it was baking and the bubbles got a little burned, but the rest of the custard should be pretty tasty. Let the custard rest for about 5 minutes, it will collapse like most custards and be a lot flatter than when it first came out of the oven.

You can serve either at room temperature or chilled!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Korsha and I are going to try this!