Sunday, October 12, 2008

Carnitas

I don't have a picture unfortunately, but I felt that I needed to post this on the blog because I don't want this recipe to be lost to Google when the next time I want to make carnitas comes up and I don't remember the wording I used to find the great recipe we used tonight!!

Ingredients

3-4 lb pork butt or pork shoulder roast
2 tbsp Fajita seasoning
1 1/2 cups green chile sauce (we used green chile enchilada sauce, but I'm not sure what exactly the difference is?)
1 jar salsa (we used chunky style, but at the end of the cooking the chunks get lost, it might be worth it to get non-chunky salsa that might have a better flavor)
1 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Juice of 4 limes

This is probably the easiest recipe in the world. Really you just put all of the ingredients in a crockpot and set it to low for 8-10 hours or high for 6-8 hours. When we cooked it, we did it on high because we started at around 2pm, and to be honest I don't know what cooking it on low would benefit because this recipe ended up being perfectly juicy and tender.

When you come to the end of the cooking, Lex and I decided that draining the pork would be best--BEFORE pulling the pork! We didn't drain it and the burritos we made with the carnitas ended up a little too moist. So anyway, drain the pork, put it back in the crockpot and shred it with two forks until it's totally in pieces and voila! The best thing to do with this is put it in tortillas and make it a burrito and it's totally delicious!

Note: Lex liked the spiciness of the carnitas, but suggested we eliminate the cayenne pepper so that he can use his favorite red chile sauce. I don't like his salsa so I think the best comprimise is to maybe halve the cayenne pepper, I think we'll do that next!

Another note is that after doing various styles of pulled pork, I think you can pretty much do anything to a pork butt flavor-wise and leave it in the crockpot on high for 6-8 hours and be fine, with a careful mind to having plenty of moisture. This recipe is almost all sauces so there was no worry for moisture!

No comments: